Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Change to email

A colleague announces that we will shortly close down the departmental email service and start using the university one. Probably that spells the end of my practice of routinely using pine to read my email (when doing it remotely, I ssh to our department machines, type "TERM=vt200" and read using this purely text-based interface. I switched to pine from Berkeley mail as a result of the usage of attachments becoming commonplace; pine can just about cope with those. Web mail, or programs like Outlook or Thunderbird, don't really add more functionality (colours and fonts don't count as functionality) and are much slower (those colours, fonts and graphics take time to re-display every time you delete an email or move to a new page). I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

No comments: