Thursday, January 10, 2008

Holiday reading

Some books I read over the holiday --

Ghost, by Robert Harris. A taut, efficient thriller, just right for a 10-hour flight from London to Denver. The main character is not as vivid and 3d as the blurb makes him out to be. A good book for people who don't like Tony Blair. Dark Rivers of the Heart by Dean Koontz. Started reading it at the condo in Breckenridge. It's too damn long! The political rants I can deal with, there's only about five, and I'm quite a sucker for political rants, even when I profoundly disagree with them. It's just the excessive detail on certain unimportant characters, and the houses they live in, stuff like that. And worst of all, the occasional flare-up of literary affectation. A disappointment after Watchers. The Road by Cormac McCarthy. For me, a bit too arty for a post-apocalypse novel. I can't see why it got pressed-ganged into the service of the environmentalist movement.

Yesterday, I finally got a research proposal submitted, that has taken ages to write. Never mind whether it succeeds, just for the relief of getting it out of the way...

No comments: